Cutting tools embedded with diamonds using bonding materials are known as diamond tools. Diamonds being an extremely hard material has an edge over other tools with abrasives such as corundum and silicon carbide. Some of the other properties of diamond include, low friction co-efficient, good strength and very good resistance to wear and tear.
Advantages of Diamond Tools
- High efficiency in grinding: Diamond tools cause less heat to be generated, as less grinding force is applied. This helps in avoiding cracks or burns on the surface.
- High resistance to wear and tear: high grinding quality as well as precision is achieved as the rate of change in the dimension of diamond tool is lesser than that of other abrasives like silicon carbide.
- Longer Lifespan: This causes the tool to work for a long period and thus help reduce costs of buying new tools.
- Low costing: Processing cost of these tools is low.
There are many kinds and types of diamond tools available in the market; they can be categorized as follows:
- Metal bonded diamond tools: in these tools a mixture of metal powder is used as its bonding material. The diamond segment is the functional part of the tool. Diamond saw blades, diamond core drills etc. come under such tools.
- Resin bonded diamond tools: In such tools the bonding material of the tool is resin powder. For example: resin bonded diamond segments, diamond polishing pads.
- Ceramic-bonded diamond tools: In these kinds of tools the bonding material is usually ceramic and glass powder. Even though such tools have high brittleness, they have balanced chemical stability.
- Plated diamond tools: Using electroplating method or chemical vapor deposition method, diamonds are fixed into the base of the tool. This tool has very good precision.
Diamond tools are used for the processing of the following materials;
- Non-metallic hard substances such as stone, asphalt, concrete, ceramic and gem stone.
- Carbide alloy
- Non-ferrous metals
- Soft materials such as resin and rubber
- In constructions, where small and medium diamond saw blades and diamond core bits are used
- In woodworks, wherein profiling cutter, PCD circular blades and other such diamond tools are used for the composite laminate floorings.
- Diamond circular saw blades and diamond band saws are used in stone processing, especially to saw stone blocks such as marble and granite. Many specialized diamond tools are used for processing of stones to a particular shape.
- Geographical projects: diamond oil drill bits, diamond geological drill bits etc. are used for various explorations and geographical projects, especially in the mining industry.
- Home appliances product processing: Super-thin, high precision diamond cutting wheels are used for cutting thin silicon slices.
Apart from such industrial use, diamond scalpel is also used in delicate surgeries.
At Mark Corporation, many such diamond tools are manufactured such as resin bond diamond discs, metal bond diamond fickert etc. You can choose tools according to your requirements, as we have an array of products that are used for many applications in stone processing.